Sunday, May 22, 2011

Volume-6: What does it All Mean to Me?

So, at the end of it all, here’s a summary of my (dis-)beliefs. I don’t believe that:

  • There is a 3-O God.

  • Even if there is one, he’s not sitting there:

o judging me,

o telling me right from wrong (there’s no such thing in His creation, right?),

o waiting for me to worship him so he can give me the goodies, OR

o punishing me for not worshipping him

  • There are paapa/punya concepts.

  • There is absolute morality

I do believe that:

  • Science, while at the end of the day is still based on belief system and is not independently provable, is an inherently consistent framework. While the specific theorems get proven and disproven time to time, the philosophical underpinnings of science are inconvertible.

  • There is something about levels of our consciousness and mind and spirit that is beyond science’s explanatory powers. But that is temporary. A time might come when science might be able to explain the sense of deep meditative state I feel.

  • There is relative morality. This nature-evolved, social contract-based moral framework is quite adequate and I don’t need a God to represent absolute morality in order to lead my life morally or to judge a fellow human being).

  • I don’t need a God to deeply appreciate and fall in love with the beauty that is all around us. Why do I need a God to be simply awed ‘beyond belief’ when I look at nature’s paintings?

No comments:

Post a Comment